Dental Cleaning & Examination
A professional dental prophylaxis(dental cleaning) is usually performed by a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). The following are included in your dental cleaning appointment:
- Plaque Removal: a viscous and almost invisible film which forms on the teeth. Plaque consists of a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, & saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that cause inflammation of the gums. This inflammation can lead to periodontal disease.
- Removal of tartar or calculus, a calcified plaque that has been left on the teeth for sometime and is now firmly adhered to the tooth surface. Calculus, which forms above and below the gum line, can only be removed with special dental instruments such as periodontal scalers and ultrasonic cleaners.
- Teeth polishing removes stain and plaque that is not removed during routine tooth brushing and scaling.
A comprehensive dental examination will be performed by your dentist at your first dental visit. A regular dental examination will also be performed each visit after your professional dental cleaning. Included in your examination are the following:
- Evaluation of diagnostic x-rays for detection of caries, pathological lesions such as tumors and cysts, as well as bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. This helps a clinician detect any signs of infection or an abscess.
- Oral cancer screening to check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums.
- Evaluation of the gums and bone around the teeth to check for periodontal disease.
- Examination of all tooth surfaces to check for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations including current crowns, onlays, fillings, bridges, implants, and removable dental appliances.